European Domains: Isle of Man (.org.im)
Important: When entering your search string don't write “www” or the Isle of Man domain type, ie. “org.im”. Therefore to search “www.bb-online.org.im” enter “bb-online” and nothing else.
The only letters allowed within a domain name are: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z - 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. Spaces are NOT ALLOWED.
To register .org.im domains your future Isle of Man domain, click here!
Once the domain is registered
All Isle of Man domain names registered with us are stored on our international server. Domains registered with us are automatically provided with their own under-construction page - this notifies potential registrants that the name has been acquired and is now registered. The under-construction page is offered free of charge and may be used indefinitely.
It is possible for Web and/or Mail forwarding to be provided for Isle of Man domains.
Domain transfer/release fees are charged are by a majority of registrars, but BB Online make no charge to transfer a domain to another Isle of Man domain name registrar.
Personal domain names for Instant Messaging users, Instant Messaging web sites, trademarks and local Isle of Man businesses
It was in 1996 that the Isle of Man, once becoming totally separate from the United Kingdom as a self-governing country, was given the permission to use the '.im' National Top Level Domain (known as TLD) and was given responsibility. The registry for the .im ccTLD is Domicilium (IOM) Limited.
The registry responsibilities are:
- Keeping control, ownership and responsibility over the register to make sure everything goes smoothly
- Process the applications by those requesting domain names to register or renew.
- When a domain holder requests the change in the register or needs information about the .im domain name system, Domicilium must do so.
- Publish information so that domain name holders knew when they need to renew.
When choosing the name for the ccTLD .im, there are certain conditions that need to be followed:
- Characters from the Roman Alphabet (a-z) can be used.
- Digits (0-9) are allowed.
- The only specialised characters that can be used are hyphens (-). Since they are not yet offered by the IDN, the last or the first character cannot be a hyphen.
- The maximum amount of characters allowed in a .im domain name is 63, the minimum being. The only exception would be through a larger sum of money paid to get a name with one or two characters.
The second-level domains that are currently available are as follows:
If any domain name isn't desired by the Government, they have the right to withdraw it within the first two working days.
Some domain names may be classified by the registry as a premium domain name and will command a higher price. If you request a premium domain name we will contact you before completing your order.
In addition, the registry may at any time reserve domain names from registration or the sale may be restricted to comply with ICANN requirements.
On July 1, 2006, .im registration was made available to anyone in the world, including one, two, and three letter domains directly under .im, which opens up the possibility of .im domain hacks. The domain is becoming popular with companies who produce instant messaging software with names registered by Pidgin, Yahoo! Messenger, Meebo, Coccinella, Trillian, and portal.im among others. The abundance of available short names is also making the domain popular for personal use.
Currently, domain registrations cost £40.00 per year for domains of three letters or more, although they can be purchased more cheaply through resellers. Premium domains with two character names are available for £495.00, and premium domains with one character names are available for £995.00.
International domain names from BB Online since 1997