American Domains: Greenland (.net.gl)
Important: When entering your search string don't write “www” or the Greenland domain type, ie. “net.gl”. Therefore to search “www.bb-online.net.gl” enter “bb-online” and nothing else.
The only letters allowed within a domain name are: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z - 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. Spaces are NOT ALLOWED.
To register .net.gl domains your future Greenland domain, click here!
Once the domain is registered
All Greenland domain names registered with us are stored on our international server. Domains registered with us are automatically provided with their own under-construction page - this notifies potential registrants that the name has been acquired and is now registered. The under-construction page is offered free of charge and may be used indefinitely.
It is possible for Web and/or Mail forwarding to be provided for Greenland domains.
Domain transfer/release fees are charged are by a majority of registrars, but BB Online make no charge to transfer a domain to another Greenland domain name registrar.
Has some use in Greenland
The country code top-level domain name, also known as the ccTLD, for Greenland is .gl. It is managed and the database is maintains by Tele-Post. Tele-Post was originally two enterprises which merged together, each having their own past. Their names were Tele Greenland and Greenland Postal Service. It was a merging of their names which brought the company to Tele-Post. They are based in Nuuk, within the first skyscraper Greenland created. Domain names can be applied for within the same building ordinary postal and telecom business is handled.
You can register a Greenland domain name directly under the second level or under several sub-domains which help keep websites more organised:
Even if you lack a local presence in Greenland, a domain name is available to anyone on a 'first come, first serve' basis. The registration of these domain names can take up to 28 days to complete.
There are certain rules and regulations which must be followed when choosing the name for the .gl ccTLD. They are as follows:
- It is advised that the name ought to be between 3 characters minimum and 63 characters maximum. There are obviously some exceptions as names with 2 characters have been accepted before.
- Certain standards must be followed to make sure the name doesn't offend anyone in any way.
- It can contain the roman alphabet a-z and the digits 0-9.
- Hyphens (-) are the only special characters allowed and it cannot begin or end with a hyphen.
- .gl domain names are not compatible with IDN, this meaning that Danish letters æ, ø, and å are not allowed. If wanting to put them in Roman alphabet format, they are usually translated as ae, oe and aa.
- If consisting of only numbers, the domain name can contain problems. There are certain applications for these types of Domain names.
Seeing as Tele-Post does not investigate any domain names and check if they are going against a previous copyright law, the applicant has to sign a wavier that states they are doing nothing of the kind. Tele-Post is not responsible for the user's use of the domain name.
Some domain names may be classified by the registry as a premium domain name and will command a higher price. If you request a premium domain name we will contact you before completing your order.
In addition, the registry may at any time reserve domain names from registration or the sale may be restricted to comply with ICANN requirements.
- Population is estimated to be 57,564 people
- Gross Domestic Product is $1.1 billion US Dollars
- Languages recognised in Greenland are Greenlandic, Danish
International domain names from BB Online since 1997